Shaw up for the Cup

DESPITE some awful weather prior to and during the games the league were delighted to see the bulk of the first round of domestic Cup fixtures being completed.

Innovative and forward-thinking moves by clubs in changing venues helped on the day.

In the Rhodes Cup for Premier and Division one sides the big upset of the day was provided by Division one mid-table team Shaw Athletic who pulled off a great 6-3 win over Premier division side North Walkden.

Irlam Tiger, from Division one, also beat Premier division side AFC Oldham in a 6-4 thriller.

Premier division leaders Stretford Paddock were taken all the way by lowly Division one side Trafford United before getting a late winner for a 3-2 victory.

There were few problems for the other top Premier teams with De La Salle winning 6-0 at Bury Amateur and Moston Brook won another exciting encounter at Salford Vics by 5-3.

Also going through were Division one champions Chadderton Cott, who were taken all the way before emerging with a 2-1 win over Didsbury and Rochdalians and Old Stretfordians with walkovers.

There were some thrilling contests in the Wray Cup for teams in Divisions 2 and 3 led by a 5-3 win for Eccles United over Wythenshawe Wanderers, who are both flying high in Division two.

It was end-to- end throughout the game with Eccles taking an early lead but Wanderers hit back with Joe Shaw equalising then forcing an own goal to take the lead which they extended before the break.

But Eccles upped the ante in the second half to storm though to win 5-3.

Baguley Athletic also came from behind hosting Radclyffe in another fine game.

Radclyffe led 1-0 at the break, through Adam Grogrow but Baguley levelled with a deflected goal on 50 minutes and went on to win 3-2.

Sale Amateurs had a relatively comfortable passage at Abacus Media reserves winning 6-2, a score matched by Salford Albion at Milltown.

Newton kept up their recent run of form as they despatched AFC Stockport 5-3 and Elton Lib Hargreaves won a tense match at Hooley Bridge Celtic with the only goal of the game.

Division two leaders Hattersley are through with a walkover.

The Whitehead Cup for teams in Divisions A and B produced plenty of goals led by Division B leaders Aldermere reserves who won 10-0 at Greater Manchester FC and North Walkden reserves were not far behind beating Oldham Saints 9-0.

There were plenty of goals at Flixton JFC as they shared ten with Salford Vics reserves and won the penalty shoot out by 4-1.

A penalty shoot-out was also needed at Milnrow Firgrovia as they drew 2-2 with Trafford United reserves and won a nerve-jangling shootout 7-6.

The game at Spurley Hey against Salford Storm ended goalless with Hey winning the shoot out by 5-4.

Close too at AFC Oldham reserves who lost out 2-1 to Milton reserves.

Moston Brook reserves kept an immaculate clean sheet in a 3-0 win at Santos.

The final Cup competition for the Hellawell Shield featured teams in Divisions C and D.

Eccles United reserves made it a good day for the club as they cruised to a 6-3 win at Chadderton Park reserves.

Mellor reserves provided one of the day’s big shocks as the runaway Division C leaders Dukinfield Athletic were held 1-1 in normal time and went out 3-1 on penalties.

Salford Storm reserves were the big hitters by 10-3 in their local derby with Salford Vics Development.

Whalley Range went down by 5-3 hosting AFC Stockport Warriors and Altrincham Hale reserves pulled off a great 3-2 win over Staly Lions.

Close games at Govan Athletic Development who scored the only goal of their game with Irlam Tiger A. Didsbury reserves have only won one league game this season as they lie at the bottom of Division D but have shown plenty of substance with excellent efforts in recent fixtures. A typically gutsy performance saw them pull off a much celebrated win by 3-2 against Stoconians  reserves from Division C to leap into round two with great anticipation.

There were also league games played and in the Premier division Manchester Challenge Cup finalists Abacus Media shared the points in a 1-1 deadlock at Manchester Polonia. Abacus will play their cup final at Hyde United on February 25 against Cheshire League high-fliers Egerton.

In Division two Mellor shared six goals with South Manchester and the game between Irlam Tiger Rangers and Bedians was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch.

No joy for Moston Brook thirds as they were well beaten 7-1 by a resurgent Heaton Mersey in division B and Hillgate went down 5-2 hosting Old Stretfordians reserves.

Pic – action from Wythenshawe Wanderers v Eccles United (Eccles in yellow and black)