Minute’s silence held before weekend’s action

THE Lancashire and Cheshire AFL held a minute’s silence before the kick offs in their games for Kennie Carter, the tragic 16-year-old victim of violent knife crime, a member of whose family plays for Urmston Town Vale.

There were three big county cup games with our teams looking to boost the already very healthy success in cup competitions this season on a very windy day.

It was a great game at Whalley Range where Premier Division high-flyers Moston Brook saw their young team give a good account of themselves in the Lancashire Amateur Cup.

Range finished with great precision to lead 3-0 after 55 minutes but then had a man sent off and conceded a goal to give Brook hopes but Range resisted their pressure well and sealed the win with a fourth goal with Brook grabbing a deserved second consolation at the death.

Rochdalians have been on a great run of form recently in the Premier Division but were hit hard by injury and work commitments at Burnley Belvedere and this was not helped with a serious injury on 20 minutes with no back-up players from the bench.

Burnley did not have a shot on goal in the first half and took the lead when the wind blew in a speculative cross.

Burnley had still not had a shot on target after 70 minutes then added a second with a dubious penalty and Dalians conceded a second penalty on 80 minutes and Burnley made it 4-0 with their only goal from open play as Dalians finished with ten men due to sin binning leaving them with big regrets if they had been able to field a full-strength team.

In the Manchester Amateur Cup, Salford Storm were unable to join the other five L & C teams in the last eight as they went out 3-0 to Droylsden who were on fire in the first half to build their lead with the goals.

Premier Division action saw the top two involved in and Stretford Paddock stay three points clear with a close 2-1 win at a spirited Salford Vics.

De La Salle had few problems as they beat Manchester Polonia 5-0 and still have a game in hand over Paddock with a much better goal difference.

North Walkden were too hot to handle with a 9-3 win over Milton and Manchester Challenge Cup finalists Abacus Media defeated AFC Oldham 4-1.

With non-playing Chadderton Cott already assured of the Division One title it is now a battle for second spot and Signol Athletic showed their intent with a 3-1 win at Old Stretfordians.

Irlam Tigers are hot on their heels and an efficient 3-0 win at Didsbury sees them two points behind with two games in hand.

Trafford United lifted themselves off the foot of the table with a 2-0 win at Bury Ams.

Hattersley are in firm control of Division Two with a huge 10-point lead but Eccles United showed their intent as they shared eight goals with Hattersley.

Wythenshawe Wanderers moved into second place with a 4-1 win at South Manchester.

Adam Kay struck twice for Wanderers with Jordan Harper replying for South before the break.

But another double from Kay in the second half gave Wanderers a comfortable win.

Bedians stay at the foot of the table after losing 6-3 at a lively Baguley Athletic.

Newton gained a valuable point as they look to make mid-table, sharing two goals at Irlam Tiger Rangers and Mellor enjoyed an emphatic 5-1 win over Stretford Paddock reserves.

Chadderton Park extended their big lead in Division Three to eight points with a 5-0 derby win at Radclyffe as second-placed AFC Stockport were held to a draw in an eight-goal thriller at Elton Lib Hargreaves.

Hooley Bridge Celtic and Stoconians were celebrating much-needed wins as Bridge beat Aldermere 4-2 and Stoconians kept a rare clean sheet accounting for Woodhouses 2-0.

Village Manchester kept second place firmly in their sights with an efficient 5-0 win over Abacus Media reserves.

It’s all to play for at the top of Division A as a Ben Marshall hat-trick saw Santos topple top of the table North Walkden Reserves 3-1.

His first was the only goal of the first half and a quickfire double early in the second half completed his treble. The visitors pulled a goal back late on after missing a penalty.

Woodsend Athletic closed the gap to a point on the leaders and have two vital games in hand.

Kartel Sports also have games in hand on the top two and a 5-2 win at Stretford Paddock Development keeps them well in touch.

There were wins for Salford Vics reserves by 3-2 at AFC Oldham reserves and Moston Brook reserves by 2-0 at Trafford United reserves and the game between Milton reserves and Greater Manchester was deadlocked at 2-2.

Division B runaway leaders Aldermere reserves took another big step to the title but were given a tough game by Moston Brook thirds before emerging with a narrow 2-1 victory.

The local derby at Flixton JFC saw them share four goals with Old Strets reserves.

Derby action also took place at Hillgate with the home team edging a 3-2 win over Spurley Hey and Parrs Wood Celtic enjoyed a 3-0 win over AFC Oldham thirds.

Runaway Division C leaders Dukinfield Athletic moved 15 points clear with a comfortable 4-1 win at Stoconians reserves as second-placed Mellor reserves and Altrincham Hale were without games.

The other games were good contests with AFC Stockport Warriors scoring the only goal of their game with Urmston Town Vale, a score-line matched by Eccles United reserves hosting Govan Development.

The other game saw Staly Lions win 2-0 over Village Manchester Reserves.

Division D is finely poised, with just a point separating the top three teams.

Moston Brook fourths moved to top on goal difference after beating title rivals Bury Ams thirds 5-0 and Whalley Range also moved above Bury and level on points with Brook with a comfortable 4-0 win over AFC Oldham fourths.

A mid-table contest saw Milltown reserves with 3-2 at Irlam Tigers A and Mellor Development won 3-1 at Hale Altrincham reserves.

The other game was a clash of the ages which produced a rare goalless draw between Didsbury reserves and Salford Vics Development.