Paddock extend Premier Division lead as weather hits hard

A FEW Covid 19 cases and horrible windy, cold and wet weather hit the L & C’s busy programme hard late in the day causing numerous games to be postponed and causing more headaches for Fixture Secretary Malc Kershaw.

In the Premier Division Stretford Paddock had a comfortable 4-1 win over Salford Vics to extend their lead over De La Salle Reds to six points, though they have three games in hand while non-playing Moston Brook can draw level at the top if they win their two games in hand.

Manchester Polonia lifted themselves into mid-table with a hard-earned 2-1 win at Milton and the other game in the division saw North Walkden win 3-0 at AFC Oldham.

Division One was a total washout but in Division Two, three games beat the weather and treated us to a raft of goals.

Leading the hotshots were Baguley Athletic who found their shooting boots in a big 8-4 win over South Manchester whose games always provide plenty of goalmouth action.

With the top two teams out of action, Wythenshawe Wanderers moved level on points with Eccles United with a clinical 6-0 derby win at Bedians.

They had to thank Elvis Olanipekum for getting them rocking and rolling as his scoring example was followed by Mike Sherrington (three) and Warren Thompson (two).

Plenty of goals also at Milltown as visiting Mellor won a thriller by 5-3.

There were some close encounters in Division Three, with leaders AFC Stockport increasing their lead at the top to six points with a 4-2 win over Aldermere.

Second-placed Chadderton Park lost ground as they were held to a 3-3 draw at Salford Albion but can still catch the leaders with two games in hand.

The other game saw two teams enjoy a great playing pitch at Village Manchester with plenty of good football from both teams in an exciting game, with visiting Stoconians earning a deserved point in a 2-2 stalemate.

Division A saw four games played and leaders Woodsend Athletic had to show their powers of recovery after trailing 1-0 at the break to a determined Moston Brook Reserves.

Then Athletic showed their title intent as they upped their game in the second half to win by the odd goal in five.

North Walkden reserves also have the league title in their sights as a decisive 5-0 win over Salford Storm kept them a point behind Woodsend with both teams having played the same number of games.

Greater Manchester FC were able to celebrate their first win of the season in style as they edged a 2-1 win at Stretford Paddock Development.

It moved them three points clear of Trafford United reserves who picked up their first point of the season in a gritty 2-2 deadlock with Milton reserves.

In Division B, leaders Aldermere reserves recovered from their first defeat of the season last week against second-placed Greater Manchester reserves with a comfortable 5-1 cruise against Parrs Wood Celtic to increase their lead at the top to 14 points.

Draw specialists Heaton Mersey did it again as they shared four goals with Moston Brook thirds and Old Strets seconds kept up their run of improved form to move into the top four with a 4-1 win over Hillgate.

Division C leaders Dukinfield Athletic were held to a 3-3 draw in an exciting contest with Eccles United reserves but still have a commanding 10-point lead over non-playing Altrincham Hale and Govan Athletic Development.

The other two games had plenty of goals with Village Manchester reserves enjoying a 6-0 win over Stoconians reserves and AFC Stockport Warriors had an emphatic 5-1 victory hosting Deans Youth.

In the Manchester Amateur Cup, Old Stretfordians moved into the latter stages of the competition with a tight 3-2 win at Oldham Saints.

With Division D being washed out that was the end of the play on the field but there was plenty of action off the pitch at Bedians as the club hosted a fantastic gathering of their soccer legends enjoying a great reunion organised by club hero Tony Evans.

Most of the players were at their peak in the 1990ss when Bedians had four very successful teams who won honours galore as they also enjoyed the fantastic new clubhouse built in 1993 under the direction of Keith Marsden and other willing workers.

One of the top legends in attendance was Ged Lee who scored a club record of over 400 goals in his stellar career at his beloved club.

There were plenty of smiles, banter and good tales as they all enjoyed the meet-up with loads of pictures on the clubhouse wall showing their outstanding contribution to the club and amateur football over many years

Giving great support to the day were Bedians manager Rob O’Connor and the excellent hospitality staff at this fine sporting venue.