Dom Doyle reach first Rhodes Cup final

Dom Doyle shocked Rhodes Cup holders Salford Vics on a weekend in which the identity of the finalists for the four cup competitions were confirmed. 

In a dramatic, topsy-turvy encounter, Dom Doyle upset the fancied Vics side who had been second in the Premier Division before the season was curtailed. The holders held a slender 2-1 lead early on before Dom Doyle turned the game around to lead 3-2. 

Salford Vics equalised to force a shootout, which Dom Doyle edged 6-5 to reach the final for the first time. 

Their reward is an all-Premier Division final against the L & C’s best side this season, Mellor, who showed their class to oust Rochdalians 2-0 in a tight affair. 

And the Premier Division’s outstanding side will fancy their chances of ending the season on a high next week. 

It wasn’t to be a cup final double though, as Signol Athletic JFC convincingly defeated Mellor reserves 4-1 in the Wray Cup semi-final. 

Chadderton Cott avoided an upset as the Division Two outfit raced into a 5-1 lead against Division Three’s Sale Ams in the second semi-final and although Sale struck twice late on, Chadderton had built up enough of a lead and secured a 5-3 victory to take their place in the final. 

In the Whitehead Cup semi-finals, Division B Salford Albion provided the afternoon’s biggest upset, toppling Division A’s premier side AFC Stockport with two goals in either half to post an impressive 4-0 win.

That win guaranteed a final comprising of two Division B teams, as the other semi-final – an all-Division B affair – was won by Irlam Tiger Rangers, who enjoyed a 3-1 win over Flixton JFC. 

There were no divisional shocks in the Hellawell Shield last four, though Division D’s Urmston Town Vale were agonisingly edged out 3-2 by Salford Storm reserves, who play in the division above. 

They booked a final date with Radclyffe reserves, who came out on top in the battle of Division C’s top two at the time the league season ended by coming from behind to beat AFC Stockport Warriors 3-1. 

Radclyffe had the better of the first-half exchanges but went behind on 40 minutes with a clinical free-kick from Anthony McGuinness.

Radclyffe quickly responded with a neat header from Ryan Trelfa two minutes later to have it 1-1 at the break.

There was little between the teams in the second half but late goals from Kane Howarth and Ryan Williams took Radclyffe across the finishing line.