Radclyffe still on course for treble

Results from 16.03.19: Radcylffe through to Wray Cup final, as treble remains firmly in their sights. R

After a week of poor weather things got a lot worse on Saturday as strong winds and torrential rain caused most games to be postponed.

It was thanks to the use of artificial surfaces that some games were able to go ahead with some teams making astute moves to avoid postponement due to their grounds being waterlogged.

Rhodes Cup

The top game of the day – the Rhodes Cup semi-final between Parrs Wood Celtic and Salford Victoria was postponed until a later date due to the weather.

Wray Cup

Due to the cancellations in the Rhodes Cup the main focus switched to Wright Robinson School and the Wray Cup Semi- final between Radclyffe from Division Three and Urmston Town from Division Two.

Urmston Town got off to a flier as Darryl Garwood gave them the lead in the first minute with a clinical strike., but Radclyffe showed why they are going for a trophy treble in the Rhodes Cup and Division Three championship as they drew level through Darryl Hardman.

It was nip and tuck after that with Urmston creating more chances for victory but their inability to convert them was punished as Radclyffe scored a late winner to book their final against Village Manchester next month.

Premier Division

Premier Division action was confined to two mid-table matches with both ended with honours even.

South Manchester shared four goals with Waterloo after Paul Sunderland had given them the lead but the hosts came back in a well contested game to earn their point

Trafford United hosted Abacus Media and the match ended deadlocked at 1-1.

Just one game in division one and Irlam Tigers reduced the big gap on the top three teams with a well constructed 4-2 win at Moston Brook.

Division Two

Division Two was much busier with three games played, the outstanding result coming from South Manchester Reserves who beat second-placed Manchester Polonia 5-2.

Hollingworth increased their chances of overtaking Polonia to the runners-up slot as they beat Spurley Hey 5-1 and now lie six points adrift of Polonia with four games in hand.

Santos were delighted with their best win of the season as they cruised to a 4-0 win over Bedians but they stay in the basement position, seven points adrift of Spurley Hey.

Division Three

There were two games played in Division Three and Stoconians Reserves moved into joint second place after a convincing local derby win by 5-2 against Heaton Mersey.

It was much closer in the other game with Salford Victoria winning by the odd goal in five against Village Manchester.

Division A

Two mid-table games were completed in Division A and Trafford United Reserves won their local derby with Flixton by 5-1 and in a tight contest AFC Oldham Reserves edged out Signol Athletic Reserves by 3-2.

Division B

Division B saw a complete blank with all the fixtures postponed

Division C

Division C had one game with Chorltonians Albion visiting Irlam Tigers Reserves.

Albion have enjoyed a resurgence in form since Tony McNicholls took over the managerial reins and they kept up the momentum as they stormed into a 4-0 lead with strikes from Aaron Rodger (two), Conor Carlin and Kurtis Wallace.

The manager made several late changes on 85 minutes and the Tigers bit back as they scored two late consolation goals.

Pics- action from 1) Radclyffe v Urmston Town (Radclyffe in blue), 2) Waterloo v South Manchester (Waterloo in yellow shirts), 3) Heaton Mersey v Stoconians Reserves (Stocs in blue and amber)